Looking to connect and network with other digital nomad families? Join our Facebook group for digital nomad and travel families here.
When you start your journey as a digital nomad, your main worry might be: “How do I meet other digital nomads?”. The world seems big and to be honest, this lifestyle can become lonely, if you don’t know how to find like-minded people.
But the good news is, there are plenty of digital nomad communities around the world – even for families! You have the option to choose from online and offline communities!
But first of all, let’s see why you join digital nomad communities in the first place!
Why you should join a digital nomad community
Together we are stronger. That’s a common rule to live by. Especially when you cut yourself from society in the traditional way, you might feel a little lost out there in the world, all by yourself. But it doesn’t have to feel this way!
- Affirmation: When I first started my solo backpacking travels around the world, I felt alone and like an outcast. Only when I met other people who did the same as me – on a daily basis – I realised that I wasn’t all too crazy. The same goes for digital nomads; if you meet (virtually or personally) with others who understand exactly what you are doing because they are doing it too, your universe will expand. Mindset is key for this lifestyle!
- Network: While being social is necessary and fun, you should always keep in mind, that you could find your next online gig or clients when mingling in a digital nomad community. So, keep your eyes and ears open plus, always have your elevator pitch ready to make a quick and good first impression.
- Mental Health: As described briefly above, we humans need other humans to feel good. Therefore, it makes a lot of sense for you to take advantage of the many offers of online/ offline communities that are out there. There is no point in spending your days alone in front of the computer building your online presence and feeling lonely in real life.
- Promote: The more digital nomads connect with like-minded people, the more we will spread the word and promote this lifestyle. So, joining a community helps increase the perception of others that this is not just a temporary thing but a new chapter in human history.
So, let’s have a look at the right digital nomad community for you!
Join an online digital nomad community today!
One of the perks of being a digital nomad is clearly the freedom to roam the world. Yet, for some, this might also be one of the challenges as it puts you constantly into the position of leaving your new friends and of having to find new ones in your next destination. However, there are ways to connect with fellow nomads even before you get to your next destination.
Our favourite online digital nomad communities:
- Digital Nomad and Travel Families – This is our new group and we are on a mission to grow it big! Here, we discuss family travel and nomad lifestyle questions. So, if you are a travel family or want to become one, then this group is for you!
- Digital Nomad Families – another one for travel families and those who are constantly on the road. Here, you can connect and ask all your burning questions when it comes to travelling and working remotely as a family.
- Digital Nomads Life: Remote Work & Travel – This is a group with zero tolerance for advertisement or spamming. It’s meant to be a place for digital nomads to share advice and tips related to living the digital nomad lifestyle.
- NomadX Support Community for Remote Workers – Here you have another great example of a growing and vibrant digital nomad community. These guys rock and help you get excited for this nomadic lifestyle!
- Global Digital Nomads – one of the biggest one out there and yet, it feels like a group of family members. Check it out and connect with others!
What is the best offline digital nomad community?
And now you are wondering how to connect with digital nomads in real life!? Don’t you worry, there are equally as many options as there are online. You have the option to choose from get togethers, weekend-conferences or long-term retreats. Read our full article about these great conferences and events for digital nomads here.
These are our favourite offline communities for digital nomads:
- Nomad Summit – In January 2020, we went to mingle with more than 300 digital nomads in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I was one of the seven speakers there and talked about social media marketing. We love Nomad Summit because it’s a down-to-earth event with great breakout sessions and loads of fun activities. You can find long-term relationships, new projects and make friends for life.
- Nomad Cruise – Equally fun and informative, this was our first nomad event that we participated in. Once you have joined one of their cruises or get-togethers on land, you are in a community digital nomad style forever.
- 7 in 7 – this stands for seven continents in seven years. You have to be quick, they have already gathered together on five continents, so only two more left for you to join. What you’ll get: fantastic locations, fun people to be around and loads of fuel for your digital nomad journey.
- Koh Phangan Wintercamp – For digital nomad families, this is the place to be from December to March. Each year, many travel families from all over the world, but mainly from Germany, to be honest, are coming to this beautiful island in Thailand, in order to escape the winter on the Northern Hemisphere.
Not into events or conferences?
No worries. Sometimes, big crowds or organised events can be intimidating. We get it. If that’s the case, then try to connect with other digital nomads while working in a coworking space or popular cafe in town. Mostly, Starbucks or big coffee chains like this, offer good wifi and attracked remote workers…you’ll see!
Simply, start a conversation with one of the people in their hiding behind their laptops – they might be happy to connect and as lonely as you are. 😉
Do you have more tips on how to find a good digital nomad community? What is your favourite one? Tell us in the comments below!